Ruminations

Posts about Books, Food, Current Affairs, Music and Movies.

Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Brihaspati - An Indian male living in the upper mid-west part of the USA. Lazy as they come, loves listening to Indian classical music and classic rock, bibliophile, oenophile, epicurean, rationalist, dabbles in existentialism and Indian philosophy, amateur tennis and table-tennis player.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Vernon God Little

I am certain that there are a septillion posts about this book. Paavana bought this book (along with Sideways) in NYC as we were waiting to catch the train to the airport.

Since I am heavily backed-up with my assorted non-fiction works, I have been reluctant to start reading any new books, especially fiction. But, on the flight back home I had nothing much to do. I had already read the in-flight magazine cover-to-cover during the flight to NYC and I decided to thumb through the book.

I havent read many pages - maybe 30 or so. It already feels like an astute commentary on small town America and the life of a helpless kid devoid of opportunities, growing up in a Gun ridden community. One cannot but sympathize with the life of Vernon and the hopeless direction it is headed in. I plan to pick it up to read sometime later. In the meantime, I am worried about what would happen to Vernon in the pages yet to be read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home